When searching for some commentary on Genesis 3-4, I came across a wonderful resource (a printable pdf file) from Mars Hill Church (Pastor Mark Driscoll.) It is called “Genesis: A Meditation on Moses’ Mosaic” and contains about 200 pages of insightful thoughts on Genesis. You may want to bookmark this resource to use as you read through Genesis all of January.
The following is just one sample of some study questions, taken from “Genesis: A Meditation on Moses’ Mosaic” relating to Genesis 3, The Fall:
• Read Ezekiel 28:12-19 and Isaiah 14:12-19 to gain further
insight on the origins and fall of Satan.
• Read I John 2:16 to discover the three ways that Satan tempts
us to sin which are also the same ways he tempted Adam and Eve.
• Read Romans 5:12-21 to note the effects of Adam’s sin.
• Because of Adam’s sin in Genesis 3 the Bible teaches that
everyone who descends from him is a sinner both by nature
and choice (e.g. Psalm 51:5, 58:3; Isaiah 53:6, 64:6; Romans
3:23; I John 1:18). What does this mean and why does it
matter that we understand the origins and remedy for sin from
• Read Colossians 2:13-15 and Revelation 19:11-21 and
20:7-10 to see how Jesus defeated Satan on the cross and
will destroy Him in the end.