When you are driving and get lost, what do you do? I used to pull over and walk in to a local gas station and ask for directions. However, with my smart phone and its map app, I do not need to “ask” but will figure it out with technology. Either way, I can search for information with whatever means are available. Some folks prefer to wander about, just HOPING that they will get a break and find their destination, or at least figure out their current location!
God has the “ultimate map app”, His Word, the Bible. Our passage for today, Jeremiah 6:16 tells us:
Thus says the Lord:
“Stand by the roads, and look,
and ASK for the ancient paths,
where the good way is; and walk in it,
and find rest for your souls.
Although this verse could be pulled out and used when your traveling partner refuses to stop for directions, Jeremiah’s intent is for us to think of our spiritual lives. Rather than wandering through life aimlessly, we are to stop and ask directions. Question: Are we too filled with pride to stop and ask, and as a result, we waste time seeking our own way?
- God wants us to travel the right path. He wants us on THE path that will lead us in His direction. While this word of correction was spoken to the Jews many years ago, there are some lessons in this verse for us, too.
- There are many wrong paths, but only ONE right path. (John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.)
- Stand and LOOK, really SEE. (Jeremiah 5:21 tells of people who are foolish and senseless, who have eyes but do not see!)
- ASK! We just read this week in James 1:5 that “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.”
- God’s promise to those who walk in His paths is that we will find rest for our souls.
What are the rewards?
- We will travel with Him! He will never leave us or forsake us! (Matthew 28:20)
- We can be sure that we will arrive at the right destination! (John 14)
- We will be in His presence! Psalm 16:11-
You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Joy in the journey and joy forevermore!