Our read-through-the-Bible plan brings us to Romans 9 today, a difficult passage to understand. John Piper has written a whole book, “The Justification of God” which covers the first 23 verses of chapter 9 of Romans. In 2002, he preached a sermon on Romans 9 and said this, “because of Romans 9 I left teaching and became a pastor. The God of Romans 9 has been the Rock-solid foundation of all I have said and all I have done in the last 22 years.”
- Will the promises of Romans 8 stand?
- Will the blood-bought promises that we Gentiles and Jews are staking our lives on stand?
- Will God stand by his commitments, sealed with the blood of his Son?
- Will he work all things together for our good?
- Will the predestined be called and the called be justified and the justified be glorified?
- Will he give us all things with him?
- Will nothing separate us from the love of God in Christ?
- Is there really now no condemnation, and will there be none tomorrow?
Romans 9 comes after Romans 8 for this utterly crucial reason: It shows that the word of God’s covenant with Israel has not failed, because it is grounded in God’s sovereign, electing mercy. Therefore the promises to the true Israel and the promises of Romans 8 will stand! That is the gospel of Romans 9. The promises purchased by the blood of Christ will be performed by the sovereign power of God.
Read or listen to “The Absolute Sovereignty of God: What is Romans 9 About?“