Ezekiel 20 is rather unique….this telling of Israel’s history is very different. I challenge you to read this chapter with a highlighter or pen. See how many times you notice:
- I am the Lord your God
- BUT they…
- BUT I acted FOR THE SAKE OF MY NAME
- BUT they…..
- BUT I withheld my hand and acted FOR THE SAKE OF MY NAME
- I did it THAT they might KNOW that I am the LORD
- I (the LORD) will….I will….
- I will show my HOLINESS among you in the sight of the nations
- And you shall KNOW that I am the LORD
- when I deal with you for my NAME’S SAKE
Everything God does is for the sake of His name, for His own reputation, for His fame and His glory. The wonderful result? We come to know that He is the LORD, and He gets the praise!
Recommended reading: For the Fame of God’s Name, Essays in Honor of John Piper