As we read in 1 Kings about Solomon’s construction of the Temple, we need to be reminded that it was a shadow. John Piper comments on this in an introduction to a message, “Jesus: Mediator of a Better Covenant”
- The tabernacle and temple were a shadow;
- the official priesthood was a shadow;
- the animal sacrifices were a shadow;
- the feasts and dietary laws were a shadow.
And when Christ came, the shadows began to fall away, because Christ himself is the Reality.
- He is our temple and tabernacle, our focus and place of worship.
- He is our High Priest and Mediator and Intercessor.
- He is our atoning sacrifice.
- He is our Passover feast and spiritual food.
- He is our purity and holiness that sets us off from other people.